Soft Tissue Surgery for Dogs and Cats in Monroe, MI
It’s normal for dogs and cats to require surgery at least once in their life. This is typically for their spay or neuter surgery, which can help prevent future health and behavioral problems. But there are various other surgical procedures we can also provide to make life better for pets. At Suburban Animal Clinic of Monroe, our veterinarian and support staff can perform many different soft tissue surgeries as a way to treat or prevent a harmful condition. We also have extensive protocols for lessening surgery risks and reducing pain so our patients can recover comfortably and safely.
We Prioritize Your Pet’s Safety Above All Else
Before their surgery, we need to verify that your pet is healthy. This ensures minimal risk while they are under anesthesia, and therefore a safer procedure.
For the highest level of safety, we:
- Examine every pet and perform blood work (as needed)
- Tailor their anesthesia, pain medication, fluids, and antibiotics to their weight and health history
- Keep pets warm during surgery to prevent hypothermia
- Monitor your pet’s vital signs from beginning to end
- Monitor your pet while they’re in recovery
- Provide detailed recovery instructions at discharge
Tips to Make Your Pet’s Surgery Recovery Easier
Like humans, dogs and cats must be restricted from certain activities while they recover from their surgery. Recovery time may differ depending on their procedure, but here are some tips you can use to prevent an unexpected follow-up visit.
- Check your pet’s incision site for redness, hardening of the skin, discoloration, and seepage
- Keep the incision site as dry and clean as possible at all times (no baths or swimming!)
- Your pet may need to wear an e-collar, onesie, or old T-shirt to prevent them from licking their incision
- Don’t let your pet romp around with reckless abandon--they could tear their stitches
If you need more information to ease your pet’s recovery, call (734) 384-0812.